Saturday, May 30, 2020

Looking Positive with the U.S Department of Labor, Women's Bureau

The women's Bureau has outlined three major strategies to create equity between the sexes in the workforce. They are working on improving workplace practices and supports, promote greater access to and preparation for better jobs for women, promote fair compensation and equal pay, and balance work and home life for women. The good news is that the Women's Bureau directs their focus to help women prepare for, participate and advance in and retain non-traditional, high-growth, and higher-paying jobs. Educating workers on their rights and employers on their legal obligations to ensure fair compensation is another way to empower women. The workforce is designed in a patriarchal  structure, juggling work and home life can be challenging for women. Law Professor and legal scholar Joan Williams argues it is vital now more than ever to "deconstruct the ideal worker norm" and rethink the divide between unpaid work and work in the workplace. This is where I know I will need to advocate for my daughter and I as a single parent when I begin working. 




No comments:

Post a Comment